Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Redonda Island is NA-100

A small epiphany today: Redonda Island, a side trip we've just begun discussing within the group, is not within the jurisdiction of Montserrat; it belongs to Antigua and is part of the NA-100 group. This complication makes operating from there problematic. There had been a brief discussion early-on about getting licenses for Antigua as well as Monterrat, but there wasn't much interest. Now, we discover, operating from this little island would require just such a license. Some other group members are investigating our options but I confess this is starting to sound like mission creep. My plate is already full with planning and execution of our main objective. At this point, if I go to the island, I'm going to swim with the fishies, not worry about how to get on 20 meters.
Paul and I will be spending lots of time at the villa making contacts. He has, or has ordered, a set of band pass filters like the ones I ordered last month. We hope that these filters will be sufficient to keep out of each other's front-ends, but I would feel better if I was a little more knowledgeable about these things. I stumbled across a publication that looked interesting from International Radio called Managing Interstation Interference that looked interesting. On a whim, I ordered it. (I do that sort of thing a lot--ask Sandy...) It came a few days later. While I have only given it a cursory review, I like what I see.
I have programming work to do on the online log processing tools. I made a commitment to the group in last Sunday night's conference call that I would have this software ready by the end of this coming weekend. That will be a stretch, but that's still my goal. There are a couple of reasons for pushing this: I would like to have some time for testing this software before I leave, I need to give Dave a copy so he can run it for me in the event our internet connection isn't as reliable as advertised, and mostly because I've got lots of other stuff to do, and having this out of the way means I can concentrate on those other tasks such as equipment planning and final logistics.
One last note: this is post number 200 in the 100 Pound DXpedition weblog. After a couple hundred posts, I've made some observations: it is a very strange way to communicate! I receive only occasional feedback via email or posts in the comment section of the blog, yet many who do comment write as though we've know each other since childhood. In short, it has all been wonderful but I have no idea who is reading this stuff. There are no statistic gathered to even let me know if dozens, hundreds, or thousands view my words each day. My philosophy has always been to collect my thoughts in this place, and if it helps even one amateur radio operator muster the courage or gumption to pack their radio and go, I would be very pleased, indeed. I hope it has.
Just 18 days to go...

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim, N9PUZ said...

Keep on writing! I rarely comment but nearly always enjoy the posts.

Tim, N9PUZ

January 11, 2007 2:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home