Thursday, July 20, 2006

Leaving that familiar item at home

I spent a long day in a meeting but the group was lively and it seemed like we covered a lot of ground. All-in-all, I'm glad I made the trip. After today's session concluded, I got directions to Pro Player stadium from the concierge and zoomed up to catch a Marlin game. I arrived just in time to see the first pitch.
I don't know what it is about this area but I seem to be turned-around every time I try to drive some place. I should have brought my Garmin StreetPilot GPS but I stupidly left it at home to save weight in my bag. Dumb. Very dumb. Maybe that's a lesson for packing for one of these lightweight DXpeditions, too: if you've come to rely on a piece of equipment (particular radio, antenna analyzer, etc.), take it. Work the other stuff around the weight and bulk of the thing that helps keep you centered. At some point, when you are far away from home, a little comfort from a familiar object might be just what you need. (Don't go nuts, obviously. If you've got a favorite brick, leave it at home [grin]).
The other thing I noticed here is how quickly the weather can change. Storms seem to pop up out of nowhere, then disappear, then reappear. Very fluid, very spontaneous weather down here. My fantasy of working the world from Cay Sal Bank or Double Headed Shot Cay always has me hanging out, wearing the cool sun glasses, and soaking up rays while I work DX. In reality, I've got to plan for foul weather, too. And it can get pretty ferocious down here. That's one more thing for the planning document.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home