Wednesday, March 21, 2007

NCDXF

I finally joined the Northern California DX Foundation today. Well, I sent them the money anyway. {grin} This is something I've been meaning to do for a while. The NCDXF is one of the premiere DX organizations in the world sponsoring DXpeditions, maintaining a beacon network, and providing scholarships. Last night's speaker mentioned he was a member of the NCDXF and I made it a point today of finally getting my application submitted. I wish I could give more. They do great work.
Today is the first day of Spring. Hooray! It won't be long until the boats are running again in Boston Harbor. Last year I made more than a few trips out to Georges Island and I hope to make even more this year. That will begin in May.
In the mean time, I can begin planning for the RSGB IOTA contest to be held July 28th and 29th of this year. Last year I was only able to put in a six hour effort because I needed to catch the last ferry off Georges Island. This year I'm hoping to put in a full 12 or even 24 hour effort by camping on one of these islands. I submitted my camping request this evening which should get me a spot on Lovells Island for the night. With luck, my biggest problem with be managing the batteries! July seems like a very long way off right now, but I'm sure it will be here before I know it.
Finally, I'm still wrestling with the idea of getting a lightweight yagi. I guess I'll make my final decision in the next few days.

2 Comments:

Blogger Steve Weinert said...

One would wish that IOTA would pick a few of the Great Lakes' Islands to include in their program. But lacking that it is US & Canadian Island Activations here.

Should be up on WI-001L Washington Island several times this summer and Autumn, and will try to work it so we can try an Island-to-Island sked.

73

Steve
K9ZW

http://k9zw.wordpress.com/

March 22, 2007 10:20 AM  
Blogger NE1RD's Blog said...

The Radio Society of Great Britain's IOTA program has rules about the island being in open water and not surrounded by any land. Some of the Boston Harbor Islands don't even qualify because they are too close to land or are partially surrounded by land! There is no way a lake island would ever qualify under the program rules.

An island-to-island QSO would be fun. Once the weather gets warm and I can get out on the ocean we'll have to try it!

March 22, 2007 11:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home