Monday, October 23, 2006

Propagation book

One of the things that I would like to understand better is the theories and application of shortwave propagation. I am currently reading The NEW Shortwave Propagation Handbook by George Jacobs (W3ASK), Theodore J. Cohen (N4XX), and Robert B. Rose (K6GKU). While I've not gotten far in the book, I've read enough to recommend it. I know I've learned some things already and will likely go back and reread some of the material before proceeding. When I have finished the book, I'll post a full review of it here.
In the mean time, if you wanted to have some guess about what the conditions will be like for, say, this weekend, you could look 26-28 days prior to your desired date and check out those conditions. Since the Sun's rotation is about 28 days, it makes sense that the same stuff that my be spraying at us last month would be spraying at us again this month when that portion of the Sun spins around and faces us again. Sure, the rest of the stuff in all these books is interesting and helpful, but small, very practical tidbits like that take a lot of the mystery out of things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home