Thursday, August 16, 2007

Better late than never

In a recent blog entry I was unhappy with my poor performance planning the St. Kitts trip. One of the things I had botched was getting notifications out to the various publications that I would be on NA-104 for the CQ WW DX contest. I emailed out notices on 9 August and they have filtered out to the following places:
  • Radio Society of Great Britian - the RSGB IOTA site shows the activation.
  • National Contest Journal - the National Contest Journal shows it on the NG3K DX Contest Activities Announcements page
  • DX-IS - A new site DX-IS News has an entry with my announcement. This new site looks interesting. Keep an eye on it!
  • rec.radio.amateur.misc - The Ohio/Penn DX Bulletin was dropped on to the news group rec.radio.amateur.misc. This bulletin is echoed in many places.
  • VA3RJ's Islands Castles & Portable Operations - web site picked up the announcement.
  • I1-21171's blog - had an entry in his blog where he picked up the logo and translated the announcement into Italian (at least I think it is Italian!). That's very nice! I appreciate this extra effort!

Another site Weekly DX-Calendar by DH9SB had an entry for my Montserrat trip but not this one. I'll send a note to them this afternoon. There was also a note on the LoTW list by DXCC entity by HB9BZA that I had signed up for Logbook of the World for my V4 call. This is also an interesting site!

I've probably missed a few, but you get the idea. Though my announcements were sent very late, some have picked up on them and these postings will breed others as they get picked up by other sites. The utility of getting the word out isn't just so people look for you on the air, it also helps them find your QSL route and the dates of operation. If people see that you were only there one week in, say, October. They will hopefully not send you a card for a purported contact in July! So, today's lesson is: better late than never.

3 Comments:

Blogger i121171/IZ1CRR said...

Yes Scott, my post about your V4 expedition is in italian language. I think you deserved it as I check your blog several times a week and it's quite interesting. Let me wish you good luck to break the low power score from St. Kitts in the next CQ WWDX Contest !
Best 73
I1-21171/IZ1CRR

August 16, 2007 12:40 PM  
Blogger NE1RD's Blog said...

Thank you! 73 my friend!

-- Scott (NE1RD

August 16, 2007 1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scott,

I saw your announcement in the August 10th edition of The DailyDX!

Fingers crossed for good weather and much DX with your planned operation!

73 de Jeff, KE9V

August 16, 2007 5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home