Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Six

This is not ham radio related. Skip it if you like.

My home town is Acton, Massachusetts. I wasn't born here, but I've lived here longer (nearly 25 years) than I've lived anywhere else. My QSL card has a picture of Acton town center with its obelisk and white clapboard town hall in the background. Just to the left and across the street from the green is a small monument with a brick pathway. I was there this morning at 8:46 AM.
I was also there a year ago on this day, and the year before that. On this sixth anniversary of 9/11 no bells were rung and no flags were carried. I was alone, sheltered from the light rain by large tree that stands between the small monument and the street.
There were no words today. I had none and no others were there to offer theirs. So, I stood in silence waiting for that one notable minute to pass.
Words that normally flow easily from my fingers now appear only haltingly. I cannot, or perhaps will not, convey all that I am thinking or all that I am feeling right now. Six years later I believe I am still processing the events of that day. It may take a lifetime to finish.

www.sep11memories.org

2 Comments:

Blogger Richard said...

Scott,
I'm surprised that Acton had no organized assembly today. I did not know the people from Acton, but a former co-worker was one one of the planes. I hope others voice concern to town officials.

Rich

September 11, 2007 7:46 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am glad there are still people who remember what happened that day. I fear people here are becoming complacent. I just want to say thank you for taking time to remember.

September 13, 2007 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home