Saturday, August 12, 2006

Return to Deer Isle NA-055

Patriots Day is celebrated in Massachusetts, Maine, and Wisconsin. Running fans might know the Boston Marathon is run that day. I live in a part of the country rich with history. The founding of our nation began along the roads I drive every day. The first man to fall at Concord was from Acton, my home town. The town monument in the center of Acton graces my home QSL card.
Last year I got the idea that it might be fun to learn a little more about Patriots Day and maybe run a special event station. I looked for something in my research that might be surprising to people, perhaps even unexpected. I found it, I think, and put this in the special event description:
Patriots Day celebrates Massachusetts in the founding of our nation but many do not know Maine was part of Massachusetts until 1820, split as part of the Missouri Compromise. Join us from the Maine sea coast celebrating Patriots Day and the New England tradition of the sea April 10-17, 2006.
Last year Dave and I operated from Deer Isle, Maine (NA-055) from a rented house right on the sea coast. We had such a good time that I've arranged to return next April and operate the special event again. I've requested the same call sign K1P to be active April 11-17, 2007. If you'd like to see some of last year's stuff, check out K1P.org.
Maine is a few hours drive away and the house we are renting is quiet, isolated, and in a beautiful setting. Sandy and Dave's wife Carol had a great time, too, reading, relaxing, and just hanging out. Here's an excellent example (I believe) of a personal DXpedition that is family friendly.
Next time you're planning a vacation, see if you can't combine a little DXpeditioning in with the family fun. It isn't as hard as it might seem.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home