Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Cleaning out the old mail box

I've got a nice, four-day weekend coming up and I plan on making the most of it. This evening, though, I'm just relaxing and going through my email, which had stacked up considerably. One note from a friend in a local club asked if I had a good translation for Soufriere Hills, the name of the volcano on Montserrat. Well, I'm sure there is a better way to get a translation for the name than this, but I entered Soufriere into Altavista's Babelfish language translation program and got Sulphur mine. Sounds reasonable!
This nugget is courtesy of Don Argo and the Dogpark Software email reflector. If you've spent too much of your life pulling wires between your computer and radio, here's a thought: a Bluetooth Serial Adapter from IOGear. According to Don's account, "I've tried it on the Intel Mac Pro and the older G4 Power PC on MacOS X. No extra drivers are required -- you just use the OS X Set up Bluetooth Device. Set the baud rate and set it to a slave device with the dip switches. It does require the supplied wall wart to be plugged in to supply power but the range will allow you to control your radio in one part of the house from your bluetooth equipped computer in another." Don talks about the Macintosh because that is what he supports, but this thing should work on PCs or Macs. The street price for this is about $65 and is available from Amazon, PCConnection, to name a few. I do not own one of these, but it does look interesting. And, if Don says it works, it works.
Sandy found this clock which shows the current time and the world map with terminator. Sure, maybe it isn't as sexy as one of these , but you can't beat the price (free).
I mentioned DXpedition videos in last night's post. They are certainly great fun but there are lots of things to be learned from them, too. The latest one from the 3Y0X DXpedition will be shipping soon according to DXpedition team leader Bob Allphin (K4UEE). Over 600 man-hours of editing time were invested and they have produced an excellent video according to Bob and his crew. I hope to have it in my hands the first week in December. Of course I'll post my review here.
Finally, today is November 22nd and our country lost our President 43 years ago today. Rest in peace, John Fitzgerald Kennedy, 35th President of the United States of America.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home